June 3, 1883, became a red-letter day for Grand Island. On that day a group
of citizens met at the home of T. 0. C. Harrison for the purpose of establishing
a library for the city. In August, 1883, the city council passed Ordinance
#66 which read: That there shall be established in the city a public library
and reading room. The library became a reality October 11, 1884.
Charles F. Bentley, H. 0. Brown, W. H. Michael, J.P. Kernohan, R.J. Sharp,
H. D. Boyden, Mrs. 0. A. Abbott,
Mrs. George Everett and Mrs. T.
0. C. Harrison comprised the first library board. Charles F. Bentley
served as board president from 1884 to 1897.
With a tax levy of one mill yearly, the city treasurer allowed $324 for the
first library. Mrs. 0. A. Abbott persuaded the Women's Suffrage Society to
give its treasury balance to the library for book purchases. The first library
was housed in H. E. Clifford's law office situated on the second
floor of the First National Bank building. With Clifford acting as
librarian, the library was open Wednesday and Saturday from noon to nine.
Clifford's salary was nine dollars monthly. Eighty-seven single books and
several volumed sets representing the classics and formal histories made up
the library's inventory.
In August, 1884, the board sent to the city council rules
and regulations for the library's operation. The rules included one book
lent to each patron, fines of five cents per day for overdues and a rule which
prohibited the perusal of books by patrons. The librarian obtained the book
requested. Any resident could borrow books, if his application card was signed
by a resident freeholder guaranteeing responsibility for fines, lost or
The first book bill for $272.15 was to Janson, McClurg Co. Books of fiction
included Ben Hur, Little Women, Five Little Peppers and How They Grew, When a
Man's Single, We Girls, The Second Wife and Modern Prophets. Among the
non-fiction works were The Science of Politics, Responsibility of Mental
Disease, Modern Physics, The Conservation of Energy, Animal Mechanism and
Diseases of Memory. Publisher's date on these volumes was 1883. The average
cost per book was $1.50.
December, 1884, found the board representing each ward in the city. The
Ladies Auxiliary of the Unitarian Church of Dorchester, Massachusetts, sent a
generous donation of books. Grand Island Bindery was selected for repair and
binding of all complete volumes of magazines. The librarian's salary was
raised to $15 monthly. In June, 1885, the board moved and approved that they,
as members, not be accepted as guarantors for residents' cards.
A benefit for the library given by the St. Cecilia Club was held in 1886.
Board members were responsible for ticket selling in each ward. Three hundred
dollars was realized from this event with the money being set aside for book
purchases. During this same year the board voted to have the library
recatalogued and the books renumbered dividing the collection into poetry,
history, juvenile, biography, fiction and miscellaneous categories.
To enforce the rules, a railing was placed around the collection to insure
that no one except the librarian handled the books. A card catalogue system
did not exist at this time. Instead, a catalogue named Finding
List was published by the Free Press and Job Printing Company of Grand
Island. The library's inventory was listed in alphabetical order with call
numbers. A subject index employed the use of the alphabet for easy reference.
For example, the letter "C" referred to German poetry and German
miscellaneous. The index gave the page number of the catalogue which listed
what was available under that particular category. This book could be
purchased by the patrons and a list of new acquisitions by the library was
printed yearly and added to the existing catalogue.
Late in 1886, the board was approached about the need for daily opening.
Clifford's office did not lend itself to this type of activity. C.W. Scarff
proposed giving the library a room, rent free. He also promised an allowance
of ten dollars per month toward the librarian's salary subject to conditions
of offering daily service and providing suitable periodicals at reading tables
for patron's use.
A contract between the board and Scarff was signed and recorded at the city
clerk's office. The year, 1887, saw trouble between the board and Scarff. The
monthly stipend was never received with the matter being referred to the city
attorney. Scarff resolved the problem. He asked that subscriptions to the
Palmer House of board members Bentley, Abbott and Michael be assigned to the
library. The board voted to allow this business and instructed the secretary
to write Scarff thanking him for his generosity.
The board solicited bids for room, fuel and a librarian's services in 1888.
Nine bids were received with C.
D. Irvine's being accepted for $350 per year. Mrs. Irvine would serve as
librarian. Because patrons requested, the board voted to allow Irvine fifty
cents extra for Sunday opening from two to six p.m. Due to poor attendance,
the board allowed to have Sunday opening from October to April only.
The librarian was instructed in November, 1889, to refuse issuing books to
homes where known infection existed.
New quarters for the library were granted by the city council in July,
1890. Two rooms on the second floor of the new city hall along with a grant of
$200 for furnishings were allocated for library use. The librarian's annual
report showed 1750 volumes and a circulation of 12,572.
An emergency meeting of
the board on December 12, 1891, resulted in closing the library until January
4, 1892, due to a diphtheria outbreak in the city. All books issued to homes
having the infection were laid aside and later fumigated.
Each annual report
showed a steady growth in circulation and by 1899, money was acutely short.
Books were purchased on the installment plan. Books ordered in 1900, had to be
canceled, as the budget was depleted. Numerous meetings were held to determine
the best way to get more revenue. The library was again closed in 1901, as a
smallpox epidemic existed.
Plans for a new library commenced in 1902. Andrew Carnegie was contacted
for the purpose of obtaining funds for a community library building. Carnegie
grants stipulated that a city support a library and a site for the building be
donated. The board and city council adopted the following resolution: The city
would provide for an annual levy of $2,000 for library maintenance.
G. H. Thummel, R. R. Horth, James Cleary and H. H. Glover donated a site at
Walnut and Second streets. Andrew Carnegie's foundation granted $20,000 for
the structure. A board committee began the search for an architect. Tyler
& Sons, Lincoln, Nebraska, were hired. Falldorf and Kirschke, Grand
Island, submitted the low bid of $19,000 and were awarded the contract. Due to
a misunderstanding between the library and the school board, plans to share a
central heating plant for the high school and the library were canceled. The
heating plant was not included in the final bid.
Mrs. 0. A. Abbott and Mrs. Charles Bentley were appointed to draw
resolutions for the ground breaking ceremony which was held on April 27, 1903.
President Theodore Roosevelt,
on the campaign trail, was asked by Mayor James Cleary to assist in the
ceremony. Roosevelt accepted with alacrity and broke the sod with such zeal,
Mayor Cleary had to employ agile feet to avoid being a target. A lady in the
audience remarked, "He handles the spade better by a whole lot than my
spouse." The spade was purchased from the Lederman Company at a cost of
Building troubles brewed between the architect and builders from December,
1903, to March, 1904. Altercations between the two were settled by the board.
A resolution passed by the board showed the architect failed to supervise
construction. As a result, the architect's bond was extended to the building's
completion and a competent superintendent for overseeing the work was
The board faced trying times. Monies for the new structure proved to be
inadequate. Several letters
to Andrew Carnegie for more funds proved to no avail. Finally, a letter
from Carnegie's home in Scotland stated that Mr. Carnegie felt $20,000 was
more than sufficient to build and furnish a library. Records do not show how
the shortage of funds was handled. The building was accepted in April, 1904.
Mary Ames, a trained librarian, was hired at a salary of $50 a month. Building
problems besieged the board for several years with the main fault being a
The Carnegie Library
was formally dedicated in 1907. Charles F. Bentley introduced the featured
speaker, William Jennings Bryan. Prior to 1884, and the opening of a library,
the Bentley home was the gathering place for persons interested in the
discussion of books.
Frances Cunningham was elected head librarian in 1908. During this same
year the library was displaced as a depository for government documents.
Although the board dissented, Hastings College became the new depository. One
hundred eighty-two documents dating from 1898 were removed. B. R. McGrath,
M.D., signed a statement on health which read, "Persons known to be
tubercular should be banned from using the library." This document was
dated, 1908. Reverend A. L. Arthur, board member, found the
"Roosevelt" spade in city hall. The board moved and approved the
spade be cleaned and preserved in the library as an historic item. The board
also passed a new regulation. "No dogs allowed in library."
In 1910, Daisy Houck was elected head librarian, Alma Etting as assistant
librarian and Mrs. J. A. Costello as second assistant. The annual report
showed circulation at 27,088.
With Jane Pinder's Conservatory of Music students providing entertainment,
the board sponsored a reception at the library January 25, 1912. Professor D.
A. Trivelpiece used the occasion to air the board's financial woes. Limited to
$2,000 annually from the city, the expenses allowed no funds for the library's
purpose in purchasing books. Judge Bayard H. Paine, Sr., delivered a talk on
the background of Andrew Carnegie and his philanthropy. The audience enjoyed
refreshments of cream wafers and hot chocolate.
The board met with the city council in June to effect a budget increase.
The Ladies Park Association donated a goldfish aquarium to the library. The
gift was accepted conditionally. The board would assume no responsibility for
Mrs. J. A. Costello was elected board secretary in February, 1913. A
committee again met with the city council on the budget. Annual circulation
April, 1917, found State Senator Leo Stuhr introducing a bill into the
legislature limiting library boards to five members. This bill also restricted
ministers and women from serving as board members. Reverend A. L. Arthur,
board member, wrote Senator Stuhr protesting the bill's attitude toward women
and ministers. Reverend Arthur's letter stated women help mold the interests
of their children and encourage reading for knowledge and pleasure. Ministers
attempt to help people find a better way of life which included reading and a
probing for knowledge. The bill passed in 1919, but the determination as to
membership was deleted.
The library budget was increased to $3,000 but the expenses exceeded the
allotment. A pay shelf for new books was installed in 1922. The fee was ten
cents a week for each volume borrowed. When the volume was free of debt, it
was put into general circulation. Superintendent of Schools, C. Ray Gates,
asked for more juvenile books with emphasis on grades five through eight.
In 1925, the board passed a resolution to house Hall County Historical
Society's memorabilia. This collection was presented to the library by A. F.
The 1930 annual report gave circulation as 66,525. In this same year the
board and the Hall County Historical Society asked the city council to allow
an addition to the library by granting a $40,000 bond issue. This issue failed
to carry by nine votes. The children's section was moved to the assembly room
to relieve crowded conditions.
Judge Bayard H. Paine, Sr., resigned from the board after serving
thirty-one years. Judge Paine was the son-in-law of C. F. Bentley, an original
board member. A proper resolution thanking Judge Paine for his contribution
was passed by the board.
Mrs. 0. A. Abbott resigned in 1932, having been a board member for
forty-eight years. E. J. Wolbach joined the board in 1931. Mrs. Clinton E.
John was elected to replace Mrs. Abbott.
The city council expressed willingness to apply to Reconstruction Finance
Corporation for an addition to the library. The application was denied due to
a lack of security for the loan, as proposed by the city council. The board
was advised by R.F.C. officers to ask the city council for a $3,000 sinking
fund for 1934 and a one mill tax levy beginning in 1935. E. J. Wolbach, board
chairman, reported the city council was reluctant to ask for a bond issue for
library construction fearing it would interfere with the passing of a much
needed sewer bond issue. 1934 and 1935 found circulation of 100,671.
Daisy Houck's report to the board in 1936 included this description of
crowded conditions. In a room 8 by 8 the following work had to be
accomplished: cataloging and preparation of books for circulation; room was
used to shelve overflow reference volumes; all book mending, accessioning,
writing of call numbers; room also was used as a locker room for the staff.
The reference room was also the reading room, allowing no place for scholarly
work to be pursued. The stairs, a winding staircase with eight inch wide
treads, leading to the children's department, were a true menace. At this time
the American Legion asked to assist in getting a new building or an addition
to the existing one. Miss Houck's annual reports for several years reiterated
her previous reports showing an increase in patron use and no room.
The city council granted the board a portion of the sinking fund to hire an
architect to estimate plans for a new building. Gordon Shattuck drew up plans
estimated to cost $90,000. Mr. Shattuck was paid $2,700 for his work. This was
done in 1937. The plan failed to come before the voters.
Helen Gorder, a trained librarian, was elected children's librarian. In
December, 1941, Mrs. 0. A. Abbott died. Mrs. J. A. Costello, assistant
librarian and board secretary, died in May, 1943. The board in separate
actions passed resolutions praising the integrity and intelligence of these
ladies. These resolutions were placed on permanent file.
World War II precluded any plans for expansion of the library. Harry
Patterson, chairman of building and grounds committee, submitted to the board
his report showing concern for the disgraceful facade of the building and the
perilous condition of the sidewalks. Mr. Patterson suggested enlarging the
walks to the curb, place wells around the trees to preserve them and cleaning
the facade. The board rejected cleaning of the facade, but sent to the city
council a request for sidewalk repair.
In May, 1942, Daisy Houck resigned as head librarian after thirty-two years
of service. She was retained as an assistant. Helen Gorder was elected head
The library's growth continued with circulation up fifteen per cent in
1944. The board endorsed a card change asking for references in lieu of a
guarantor's signature. A new roof was installed by the Krause Company in 1947.
E. J. Wolbach asked for a ten year written guarantee on the work.
The years 1948-49 saw many expenses incurred. Clarence Burdick, city
utilities commissioner, found the entire wiring system to be faulty. Wiring
bids and interior and exterior painting bids were let. The board asked for
$3,000 for this work but the city council allowed $2,265.
Sixty-five years of age was made mandatory for retirement of employees by
the board. This passed in 1952. The Sothman Company was the low bidder on
termite extermination in 1953. The library closed for two weeks to allow
accomplishment of this work. The staff took its annual vacation during this
period. Helen Gorder asked to be released from her position due to an acute
illness of her mother. Roberta Lawrey joined the staff in 1953, in the
children's department. Mary Tressider was hired to replace Miss Gorder. Mrs.
Tressider's arrival was interrupted by a month. She had developed the mumps.
Harry Patterson was instructed by the board to contact the police
department about the "pigeon problem" surrounding the library. In
July, 1954, Patterson requested the police to shoot the pigeons. In September
of that year, Patterson reported the "pigeon problem" had not been
alleviated and appeared to be a lasting nuisance.
Mayor John C. Martin wrote the board in December, 1954, of his intention to
set in motion a plan for a new library.
By 1955, the board was giving perusal to foundation plans of other
libraries. The thinking of the board was to adopt a similar plan for Grand
Island Public Library. A bookmobile displayed at Hall County Fair found
E. J. Wolbach resigned from the board in 1956, after serving twenty-five
years and acting as chairman for twenty-one years. A resolution placed on
permanent record was passed by the board thanking Mr. Wolbach for his timeless
and valuable efforts.
Board members toured the library in 1957, studied previous plans for an
addition or a new building and came to no solution for the overcrowded
condition. Mrs. B. J. Cunningham, Sr., asked board member Walter Lauritsen to
meet with a group of attorneys to see if existing laws governing libraries
could be altered.
Grand Island Library Foundation Articles of Incorporation were adopted by
the board in May, 1958, and sent to the city council for approval. By June,
the roof was leaking again. Mrs. Bruce Donald amended a motion for roof repair
to read retaining the "gingerbread trim" in lieu of removing it. The
roof matter hung on for many months before it was finally repaired. Harry
Patterson died in August, 1959. The board passed a resolution regarding his
dedication to the library.
Mary Tressider resigned as head librarian in August, 1959. The board
appointed Roberta Lawrey acting librarian and elected her head librarian in
Harold Null won board approval by proposing a memorial plate to be used for
books donated to the library. Tax free status for the foundation was applied
for to the Internal Revenue Service. A new boiler had to be installed in the
In 1961, the city council approved a suggestion that all fines and fees
from the library be placed in the library fund. Prior to this, all monies
collected were placed in the general fund. The council also agreed the board
could lease the building east of the library for library for the children's
department. John O. Baumann entered into a lease agreement with the board for
an annual rent of $5,400. The Boy Scouts assisted in the move to the new
quarters. The board thanked each scout by presenting him with a book of his
Mrs. E. J. Huntemer suggested a committee be formed to develop plans for a
new library. This proposal was "laid back." In 1961, the school
board proposed coupling a new library with a bond issue for new schools. The
board was unanimous in voting negatively to this plan.
After several years of planning by the board, a city-county bookmobile
agreement was entered into by the county board of supervisors and the library
board on October 8, 1962.
The postmaster asked the library board to change the color of the library's
"drop box", as citizens were mistaking it for a United States mail
box. The librarian reported three persons had fallen on the inside stairs. As
a precautionary device, a hand railing was added to the stairway and liability
insurance was upgraded. The board donated Caroline Converse's Island in the
Prairie to the Nebraska governor's mansion library.
McNaughton Company and the board entered into a contract for book rental in
January, 1964. This rental contract allowed patrons ready access to current
books and saved the library expenditures for new books which were not needed
for the permanent collection.
Roberta Lawrey contacted the Nebraska Library Commission regarding an
application for federal aid in construction of libraries provided for under
the Library Services Act. The board renewed the lease for the children's
library with a rental increase. In 1967, a law was enacted requiring public
meetings to be advertised several days in advance of stated date to alert
persons interested in attending such meetings.
Mrs. Jessie K. Farnsworth resigned from the board in 1967, having served
forty years. Mrs. Clinton E. John resigned in 1968, having served thirty-six
years. Proper resolutions were passed by the board thanking both for their
Frank Gibson, state library consultant, was contacted by the board to
assist in developing a building program. By June, 1968, sites were being
studied by the board. The librarian suggested Gibson's plans "not just
gather dust" but be used to determine the size lot needed for a library.
A survey of patrons was conducted as to their means of transportation to the
library. September of that year, Dr. Warren Bosley introduced a legal opinion
on the powers of a library board regarding construction of library buildings.
Elizabeth Mayer moved the board accept Frank Gibson's plan. In 1969, LB 1388
passed in the Nebraska legislature which allowed first class cities to
lease-rent public buildings without need of a bond issue.
Frank Gibson met with the board in August of 1969. The gist of the meeting
was site needs One full block was needed for building, parking and green.
Gibson advised the board to come to a conclusion on the site, decide how to
fund the building and then either follow this plan or shelve the entire
The Grand Island Daily Independent began work on a series of articles about
the need for a new library. Edith Abbott's estate was probated. Miss Abbott
left the bulk of her estate to the Grand Island Public Library. William
Blackburn was hired by the board to handle this matter. Edith Abbott also left
a trust of $10,000 for non-fiction books. This collection was to be in memory
of her mother, Elizabeth G. Abbott.
Local architects met with the board regarding a design for a new building.
Robert Theisen, architect, stressed the merits of using local persons,
particularly for supervisory work. By April, 1970, a controversy raged about
the possibility of using Pioneer Park as the library site. This park is owned
by the county and maintained by the city. Both the city council and the county
board of supervisors rejected this proposal. The city council also voted
negatively regarding a bond issue for a new library.
The board passed a motion asking the city council for funds for a building
site, hiring of an architect and furnishings for a new library. Stanley J. How
and Associates of Omaha, Nebraska, were chosen as official architects. Selma
Shamberg cast the only dissenting vote, opting for a local architect.
Grand Island became a regional library in September, 1970. A contract
between Grand Island Public Library and the Nebraska Library Commission
regarding inter-library loan service was signed. This service included book
loans to Hall, Hamilton, Merrick and Howard counties. The board also learned
that federal monies of $102,137 for site and funding of a new building were
available and had to be finalized by January 1, 1971, in order to be eligible
for the grant.
State Senator Donald Elrod was successful in introducing an alteration to
LB2lO, Section 31 of the Nebraska State Statutes. This alteration allowed
library boards to purchase or lease grounds, to exercise the power of eminent
domain and to condemn real estate for the purpose of securing a site for a
library building. This bill allowed a maximum levy of three mills to cities
and two mills to. counties for libraries. LBS6O passed in May, 1971.
The board voted to buy a site for the new library at Washington and Lincoln
between Second and Third streets. Selma Shamberg voted negatively citing the
price was not in accord with the appraisal.
Dr. Warren Bosley moved the board ask the city council to hold a bond issue
election May 9, 1972, in the amount of $600,000 for the construction of a
library. The issue carried overwhelmingly.
After years of frustration caused by overcrowding, multiple repairs and
breakdowns, the end was in sight. The board resolved the following: EDITH
ABBOTT bequeathed to the city of Grand Island $350,000 for the
construction of a new library. Be it resolved the name of the Grand Island
Public Library' shall be EDITH
ABBOTT MEMORIAL LIBRARY. At this time a bookplate design for the Abbott
nonfiction collection was awarded to Gabrielle Matlock, a senior student at
Senior High School.
Emil Roeser and Ret. General Theodore Buechler assisted with the ground
breaking ceremonies in November, 1972. Both were present at the Carnegie
Library ground breaking in 1903. The "Roosevelt" spade was activated
for this occasion. Mid-Plains Construction was the successful bidder for the
new building. April 28, 1973, was the date for the laying of the corner stone.
This was conducted by Grand Lodge A. F. b A. M. of Nebraska under the
direction of M. W. Howard J. Hunter, Grand Master. Appropriately, Bayard H.
Paine, Jr., delivered the oration. Mr. Paine's grandfather was Charles F.
Bentley and his father was Bayard H. Paine, Sr., both former board members.
The closing of Mr. Paine's oration is fitting and beautifully expressed.
"With God's help and guidance, may the laying of this cornerstone for the
Edith Abbott Memorial Library be the dawning of a new day for intellectual and
spiritual growth in this community."
During regular board business, Selma Shamberg moved the board sell at
public auction the Carnegie building to the highest bidder. The board reserved
the right to refuse any and all bids. Twenty-four thousand dollars for the
building and $4,905 for the building's contents were realized. These monies
were placed in the construction account until completion of the library.
Edith Abbott Memorial Library was formally dedicated April 21, 1974, at a
cost of just under one million dollars. James E. Wenger, board chairman,
presided. Mr. Wenger's effective leadership, his deep commitment and
enthusiasm for obtaining a new library earned him the respect and thanks of
the citizenry of Grand Island.
The Abbott Library was chosen by the Nebraska chapter of the American
Institute of Architects for its annual award in the fall of 1974.
Some difficulties occurred with the new building. Vandalism of the
bathrooms and the pay phone near the lobby created new problems. As a result,
the pay phone was removed and the bathrooms locked after three p.m. and opened
on request. Soaring energy costs put the book budget in jeopardy. History was
tending to repeat itself.
Book costs rose alarmingly. In 1884, the average cost per book was $1.50.
By 1983, the average cost was $19.00. Purloining of library materials has been
a long standing grievance of libraries. Through the generosity of a trust fund
created by E. J. Wolbach, a book detection system was installed. This system
has alleviated the problem and is dedicated to Mr. Wolbach with gratitude.
The future of the library and its services promises to be exciting and
progressive. The board has adopted the idea of computerization for the
inventory, fines, book borrowing, cataloging and interlibrary loans. In March,
1984, the board approved an application for a grant to install a computer
system with Ohio College Library Center.
A library sets the cultural tone of a community. Edith Abbott Memorial
Library is an integral part of. Grand Island. Its cultural impact is an
accomplished fact. The library offers services seven days a week, which is an
outstanding convenience to patrons.
Books are like good friends. They wear well. Dedication to keeping quality
and high standards for the library is the present board's goal and hopefully,
that of the boards to follow.
Board Members 1884-1984
Abbott, Mrs. 0. A. (Elizabeth) Sec. `84; VP `99, `01, `02, `03, `04;
Pres. `05-'32 1884-1932 48 years
Bentley, Mr. Charles F. Pres. `84-'97 1884-1897 13 years
Boyden, Mr. Henry D. VP `89, `90 1884-1892 8 years
Brown, Mr. H. 0. 1884 partial year
Everett, Mrs. George VP `85 1884-1889, 1895-1899 9 years
Harrison, Mrs. T. 0. C. 1884-1898 14 years
Kernohan, Mr. J. P. 1884-1887 3 years
Michael, Mr. W. H. VP `86 1884-1887 3 years
Sharp, Mr. R. J. VP `84 1884 partial year
Platt, Mr. Nathan Sec `85-'95 1885-l895* 10 years
Clifford, Mr. H. E. 188S-1887 2 years
Vantine, Mr. O. H. 1887-1893 6 years
Rief, Mr.Charles VP `87, `88 1887-1889 2 years
Bell, Mr. George B. VP `91, `92, `93 1887-l898 11 years
Thummel, Mr. George H. 1889-1897 8 years
Smith, Mrs. E. B. 1889-1890 1 year
Glanville, Mrs. R. C. 1890-1900 10 years
Barr, Mr. R J. Pres. `97 1892-1899 7 years
Matthews, Mr. John F. Sec. `97; Pres. `99; Sec. `04, `05 1897-1906
Clark, Rev. T. C. VP `05 1897-1906 9 years
Jordan, Rev. E. F. 1897 partial year
Thompson, John R. 1899-1905 6 years
Ferrar, Mr. Henry C. Pres. `01-'04 1899-1905 6 years
Paine, Mr. Bayard H. Sec. `99, `01; VP `09-'l2; `18-'31 1899-1904;1907-1931
Mullen, Mr. J. H. 1899-1904 5 years
Bentley, Mrs. Charles F. 199-1911* 12 years
Hatch, Mr. E. J. Sec. `02, `03 1901-1904 3 years
Sands, Mr. George H. 1903-1907 4 years
Tully, Mr. Charles H. 1904-1924 20 years
Pope, Mr. C. J. 1904-1906 2 years
Hehnke, Mr. H. 1905-1907 2 years
Hanna, Mr. 1905-1906 1 year
Kelley, Mr. S. D. 1906-1911 5 years
Trivelpiece,Prof. D. A. Sec. `06-'12 1906-1912 6 years
Horth, Mr. Ralph R. VP `06, `07, `08 1906-1912 6 years
Benjamin, Mr. I. T. 1907-1915 8 years
Arthur, Rev. Louis A. VP `19, `20 1907-1920 13 years
Rose, Mr. J. W. 1909-1914 5 years
Cleary, Mrs. J. L. (Frances) 1910-1921* 11 years
Ashton, Mrs. F. W. (Carrie) 1911-1919 8 years
Sutherland, Rev. George Pres. `32, `33 1913-1918;1920-1934 19
Ross, Mrs. S. D. 1914-1919 5 years
Dungan, Rev. T. A. 1915-1920 5years
Nelson, Mr. Peter 1918-1919 1 year
Farnsworth, Mrs. Earle E. (Jessie) VP `34-'51 1922-1952;
1957-1967 40 years
Patterson, Mr. Harry VP `52-'58; Pres. `56-'57 1924-1959* 35
Wolbach, Mr. E. J. VP `32, `33; Pres. `34-'56 1931-1956 25
John, Mrs. Clinton E. (Louise) VP `57, `58; Pres.'59-'68 1932-1968
Knickrehm, Mrs. John 1934-1945 11 years
Bottorf, Mrs. Blanche 1945-1963 18 years
Latta, Miss Inez M. (Susie) 1952-1957 5 years
Cunningham, Mrs. B. J. (Alma) 1956-1963* 14 years
Null, Mr. Harold VP `59-'68; Pres. `68-70 1956-1970 14 years
Wood, Mr. Peter 1956 partial year
Donald, Mrs. Bruce (Edna) 1956-1963 7 years
Huntemer, Mrs. B. J. 1956-1963 7 years
Lauritsen, Mr. Walt VP `68, `69 1957-1969 12 years
Jarrell, Mr. Arch 1959-1963 4 years
Grewcock, Mrs. William (Bernice) 1963-1964 1 year
Luers, Dr. Lee 1965-1969 4 years
Bosley, Dr. Warren VP `72 1967-1980 13 years
Mayer, Mrs. A. C. (Elizabeth) VP `70, `71 1968-1971 3 years
Jackson, Mr. Ted VP `70; Pres. `70 1969-1970 1 year
Shamberg, Mrs. James I. (Selma) Sec. `70 1969-1980 11 years
Hoelck, Father Frank Sec. `71 1970-1973 3 years
Wenger, Mr. James E. Pres. `70, `71, `72 1970-1980 10 years
Sorensen, Mrs. Jack (Jackie) Sec. `72 1971-1982 11 years
Glen Johnson 1973-1976 3 years
Mrs. James Davis (Joan) Sec. `81-'83 1980-
William Miller Pres. `81-'83 1976-
Kermit McCue 1980-1982 2 years
Duane Burns VP `84 1982-
Mrs. Reg Gartner (Linda) VP `82-'83; Pres. `84 1980-
Loren Pinkerman Sec. `84 1982-
*died in office